[lttng-dev] application changes to support lttng

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Thu Jul 2 13:02:34 EDT 2015

----- On Jun 30, 2015, at 8:08 PM, jamie explorer <jamieexplorer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi lttng-dev,
> sorry for asking basic questions.
> Can you guys point me to any documentation which has this info. lttng.org
> documentation doesnt have info about this.

> How does the app register to use lttng?

It awaits on a futex in a shared memory area, and then connects to the session
daemon through a unix socket.

> how do sessiond, app and lttng-ust interact? is there any socket from every app
> to sessiond?

Through unix sockets. Yes, there are two unix sockets between each instrumented
application and each session daemon. One for commands (sent by session daemon,
reply received from application), the other for notifications (send by app, reply received
by session daemon).

> How is the app modified when instrumented using lttng? are there any threads
> added?

Yes, 2 threads are added. One interacts with root sessiond (if there is one
active), the other with per-user sessiond (if one is active). If no sessiond is
active, those threads simply wait on futexes.

> Are there any powerful tools for analysis on collected traces.

Trace Compass (Eclipse UI)
lttng-analyses
lttngtop
and of course babeltrace for the event-by-event text output.

Best regards,

Mathieu