[lttng-dev] Limited event types displayed.

Alexandre Montplaisir alexmonthy at voxpopuli.im
Thu Feb 19 13:52:51 EST 2015

Hi,

On 02/19/2015 06:31 AM, Neil Bryan wrote:
> Hello Forum,
>
> Now that I have got LTTng built, I have tried some preliminary tests. Unfortunately the results are not quite as I expect.
> I have used LTTng previously, although I did not perform the kernel integration. Using Eclipse TFM I could see various processes in the Control Flow tab.
> With low-level kernel events (interrupts, sched_wakeup etc) causing threads to run or remain blocked. On my system I only see event data in the Histogram view and in the Statistics tab.
> Something has not been enabled in my build (tracepoints?) and I only have a limited amount of instrumentation. My Control Flow tab is blank and I don't see any driver threads or stuff
> that I am interested. Any clues as to what is missing?

If you import a kernel trace as a "Generic CTF Trace", the viewer will
only use information common to all CTF traces, which is not much. To get
the kernel-specific views and anlaysis working, it needs to be imported
as a "LTTng kernel trace". But then you said this was not working:

> I imported this into eclipse as a Generic CTF Trace. Using LTTng kernel trace gave me a Validation Failed error.

Which version of LTTng are you using? As mentioned in the other thread,
you should make sure to use a recent version. To validate kernel traces,
we verify that the trace's metadata (in the "metadata" file) contains
"domain = kernel" in its environment. I don't remember in which version
exactly this was added, and I'm not sure it was present in LTTng 2.0.

> I have checked the plug-ins and features on eclipse (Version: Kepler Service Release 2
> Build id: 20140224-0627) and all looks sensible.

This is also quite old ;) The LTTng integration plugins for Eclipse have
recently moved to the Trace Compass project [1]. You can find the latest
versions on the Downloads page [2], both for the stand-alone program,
and the plugins to add to an existing Eclipse installation.

Cheers,
Alexandre

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/tracecompass
[2] http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/tools.tracecompass/downloads