[lttng-dev] Can lttng support kernel function tracer

Francis Deslauriers francis.deslauriers at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 16 11:53:00 EST 2015

Hi Zhenyu,

If I understandd your question correctly, I can think of two ways to
trace an arbitrary kernel function. First, you can hook the tracer on
a dynamic probe[1] using something like this:
"lttng enable-event customEventName -k --probe kernelFunctionName".
You can also hook the tracer on both entry and exit of a function
using "--function" instead of "--probe".
To list your kernel symbols use "cat /proc/kallsyms"
Second, you can create custom kernel tracepoints and compile them in
you kernel. Have a look at the online documentation [2].

Don't hesitate to explain further if this doesn't answer your question.

Cheers!
Francis

[1] http://git.lttng.org/?p=lttng-tools.git;a=blob;f=doc/quickstart.txt;h=018c27b2b939ef7cd075255fd01bcfd8b2b21b1e;hb=HEAD#l93
[2] http://lttng.org/docs/#doc-instrumenting-linux-kernel-itself