[lttng-dev] introduction & usage of LTTNG in machinekit

Michael Haberler mail17 at mah.priv.at
Mon Apr 27 07:41:41 EDT 2015

Hello Michel, Rafael,

> Am 26.04.2015 um 15:31 schrieb Michel Dagenais <michel.dagenais at polymtl.ca>:
>
> How are you progressing to add LTTng instrumentation to the various layers of MachineKit?

I've worked my way through examples to get traces, and I have added autoconf and build support to the machinekit repo so it can be used.

That said, the folks which have timing problems have not caught on yet.. it looks some more guidance, examples and a bit of a machinekit-specific writeup is needed, competing with the other 247 priority projects on my desk ;)

So in principle it's a go as far as the (more important) userland threads flavors (xenomai, rt-preempt) are concerned; RTAI/in-kernel instrumentation would be nice to have to round it out but given the prospects for RTAI's future this might be a bit academic an exercise.

> I will have a student this Summer in our lab looking at the use of LTTng on embedded platforms for real-time applications such as MachineKit. He will insure that LTTng is easy to use and deploy on these popular platforms (Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black, Parallela), and well documented. He will also look at specific analysis and views that would be useful for such platforms and applications and look at the possibility of tracing the peripheral processors such as the BBB PRU as well. He is in CC and could help you by getting your feedback and proposing adjustments and improvements to the LTTng toolchain as a result.

Well, I would be glad to get Rafael interested in instrumenting machinekit and I am certain we'd be able to coach him through the learning curve so any work actually makes a difference; I would love to see some critical components be instrumented and actually measured on several platforms, and embedded ARM's are becoming more important all the time.

As far as machinekit as a proving ground for LTTNG goes, it is certainly a nontrivial 'customer' - meaning I dont exclude some problems and roadblocks downstream. But the upside for LTTNG I see - if it works here, it should work just about anywhere.

Let me add a question out of the blue: I've read the literature on observing time and distributed systems and am aware of the theoretical issues, as well as clock synchronisation. Still - has any thought been given to merge traces of several systems based on synchronisation points (known causality), well-synchronized  clocks, or other forms of hardware synchronisation?

thanks for caring!

best regards

Michael Haberler