[lttng-dev] sessiond and consumerd for 32 and 64 bit apps

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 8 17:08:21 EDT 2014

De : Anand Neeli [mailto:anand.neeli at gmail.com]
Envoyé : 8 octobre 2014 16:19

> Can’t the consumerd32-libdir or consumerd32-bindir be given at run time by using consumerd32-path, consumerd32-libdir or by setting env variables LTTNG_CONSUMERD32_LIBDIR and LTTNG_CONSUMERD32_BIN (similarly for 64-bit)?
> Can it be changed at compile time?
>
> Anand Neeli
   Sure, lttng-sessiond accepts consumerd(32|64)-(libdir|path) options which in turn override the environment variables LTTNG_CONSUMERD(32|64)_(LIBDIR|BIN) variables.  Setting the with-consumerd(32|64)-(libdir|bin) configure options simply sets the default values for these.

   I’m curious as to why your relay daemon was misbehaving.  It should be unaffected by bitness, since the session daemon takes care of creating the 32- and 64-bitconsumer daemons and tells them where to send their event streams.  I noticed the lttng-relayd binaries built by a 64-bit-only installation and a mixed 32-64-bit one are different, so maybe something subtle was going on.  However, when I copied the “64-bit-only” relay daemon executable over to the mixed environment and ran the tracing experiment again, it captured both 32- and 64-bit events.

   You must have somehow broken your relay daemon?

Daniel U. Thibault
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
RDDC - Centre de recherches de Valcartier | DRDC - Valcartier Research Centre
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245