[lttng-dev] CTF tracer output in tracing tools other than LTTng

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Wed Oct 8 15:02:05 EDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Divya Vyas <dvyas at mvista.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> LTTng gives output in CTF format . I am working on other tracing and
> debugging tools like perf , ftrace, systemtap etc. I want to know which of
> the above tools gives
> CTF output format ? In my knowledge open source is working on perf to give
> CTF ouput.

There is an ongoing effort to add a util to convert perf's output to
CTF using Babeltrace's CTF Writer interface. As for the rest, I don't
know if there is an effort to produce CTF directly from perf... That
would be great.

> I am finding out what we need to do to make other tools like systemtap
> output CTF format.  Please let me know your comments if anybody have some
> idea .

If you are looking for a reference implementation of a CTF producer to
add the capability in SystemTap, Babeltrace has the CTF production
capabilities which should help you gain an understanding of the
format.

If you only want to convert traces as a post-processing step, you can
either use Babeltrace's CTF Writer API from C or its Python bindings.
Here is the thread about a similar effort in perf:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/3/550

Regards,
Jérémie

> Thanks ,