[lttng-dev] Performance impact using the "filter" option

Amit Margalit AMITM at il.ibm.com
Wed Mar 19 09:14:44 EDT 2014

If I understand correctly, filtering is done at the client application
side.

This means that filtering could theoretically lower the performance of the
running application which has to check, for each event, whether it should
be sent to the daemon or not.

Naturally, if you filter some events, the chances of losing events due to
congestion at the daemon are lower.

Amit Margalit
IBM XIV - Storage Reinvented
XIV-NAS Development Team