[lttng-dev] session create failed

Lingyu Zhu lynuszhu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:31:56 EDT 2014

Hello,
Sorry for being away a few days. My thesis opening proposal is hiting the
deadline, which happens to be same date for GSoC. Now I can be fully
devoted to lttng and compose my GSoC proposal.

Anyway, I may have found a bug.I'm not very sure. Here is my log:

[lynus at slave1 ~]$lttng create
Spawning a session daemon
Session auto-20140319-081547 created.
Traces will be written in /home/lynus/lttng-traces/auto-20140319-081547
[lynus at slave1 ~]$ lttng enable-event page_block -k
Error: Event page_block: Tracing the kernel requires a root lttng-sessiond
daemon, as well as "tracing" group membership or root user ID for the lttng
client. (channel channel0, session auto-20140319-081547)
Warning: Some command(s) went wrong
[lynus at slave1 ~]$ lttng destroy
Session auto-20140319-081547 destroyed
[lynus at slave1 ~]$ sudo su -
[sudo] password for lynus:
root at slave1:~# lttng create
Spawning a session daemon
Warning: No tracing group detected
Session auto-20140319-081615 created.
Traces will be written in /root/lttng-traces/auto-20140319-081615
PERROR [4774/4882]: bind inet: Address already in use (in
lttcomm_bind_inet_sock() at inet.c:109)
Warning: An other session daemon is using this JUL port. JUL support will
be deactivated not interfering with the tracing.
root at slave1:~# lttng create
Session auto-20140319-081620 created.
Traces will be written in /root/lttng-traces/auto-20140319-081620
root at slave1:~#
[END] 2014/3/19 0:04:31

These command is issued right after my machine is booted. And it failed
every time if I try to enable kernel event as non-root user first then
switch to root to create session.  If I directly switch to root and create
a seesion, everything is normal. So I guess I may have come across a bug.
Any comment?