[lttng-dev] Support for new arch 'ppc64le'

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 12 07:26:12 EDT 2014

(sorry for breaking threading, I was not previously subscribed)

On 03/12/2014 12:58 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> I see that the patch you propose adds both "powerpc64le" and "aarch64" entries. Why are there two of them?

Currently there are two fairly recent architectures, which at the
moment can only be compiled with "gcc atomics" code path.
The two new architectures are (GNU Types):
* aarch64-linux-gnu (aka ARMv8, ARM64, AARCH64, etc)
* powerpc64le-linux-gnu

Upstream config.guess/config.sub/libtool/kernel/compilers have support
for these targets and many distributions are bootstrapping/building
archives for these architectures. Although for complete support,
ideally one would create tarballs on systems with patched libtool,
it's not required for distributions since we have support to update
config.guess/config.sub/libtool at package build time.

Thus I'd like to only request for aarch64/powerpc64el to be recognized
as archtypes that use gcc atomics in configure.ac. See attached patch.

Alternatively, you might want to consider making "gcc" atomics the
fallback ARCHTYPE, instead of "unknown" such that compilation of this
package is at least attempted on unexpected architectures.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.