[lttng-dev] Tracing custom text file using TMF or LTTV question

Stavros Giannakopoulos stavros.giannakopoulos at ericsson.com
Thu Jun 12 07:56:23 EDT 2014

Greetings,
i am running a project on behalf or Ericsson Sweden regarding tracing on a custom multicore architecture.

I came across your tools through a colleague and It seems that they might be appropriate for our work, especially TMF since we already utilize
eclipse quite heavily.

I have some technical questions though, and I would like some feedback so I know whether our specifications can be covered by that or some similar tool.

Please forward this email to the appropriate department if possible.

The specifications we have are:
1. The trace we are interested in is a process-centric view of the events (or actors in our system) along with their respective threads, that will run on specific cores.
2. We don't need to capture the traces, that has been already done, only to parse the generated file and produce a graphical view that includes the processes, threads, cores and the messages that trigger new processes.
is that possible?
3. We have the trace files in .lat format already which are generated by using the Flexus tools. What I want to know if there is a conversion tool available or we need to develop a script to do the conversion to a suitable format (CTF). And if the TMF or LTTV can produce this result from a custom trace file and not a kernel trace.

Observe on Fig 1 a simplified view of our needs. In practice there will be a few thousands processes in tens of cores and the start/end times and the messages are essential.

Fig 1: Example of result wanted.
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CF8644.F8F779E0]

Please reply on my email: stavros.giannakopoulos at ericsson.com<mailto:stavros.giannakopoulos at ericsson.com>
or contact Johan Mellgren  at johan.q.mellgren at ericsson.com<mailto:johan.q.mellgren at ericsson.com>