[lttng-dev] Duplicate registration of tracepoint probes

Adam Crume adamcrume at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 20:06:11 EDT 2014

I have an application which compiles and links fine, but at runtime it
fails with:

LTTng-UST: Error (-17) while registering tracepoint probe. Duplicate
registration of tracepoint probes having the same name is not allowed.
Aborted (core dumped)

What's the best way to debug this?  I've seen this before when a library
gets linked in multiple times, but that doesn't seem to be the case this
time (as far as I can tell).  I ran nm on the app, and all of the probes
(__event_probe__*) are unique.  I do see duplicates for
__tracepoint__init_urcu_sym, type 't'.  I also see duplicates for
__tracepoint_ptrs_registered, __tracepoint_registered, and
tracepoint_dlopen, all of type 'V'.

I have multiple *.tp files, which each get compiled and linked into their
own library, and I'm using -DTRACEPOINT_PROBE_DYNAMIC_LINKAGE.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong, or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Adam