[lttng-dev] Questions about trace streaming

Julien Desfossez jdesfossez at efficios.com
Wed Sep 18 13:36:12 EDT 2013

Hi,

On 13-09-18 11:39 AM, David Lindström wrote:
> Hi, I have some quick questions about trace streaming, that is over TCP.
>
> 1. What is the overall status of trace streaming?
Are you talking about trace streaming (sending traces from the trace
consumer to a remote host), or live trace reading (reading the trace
while it is being recorded) ?

For trace streaming, this feature is working since LTTng 2.1 and you can
refer to doc/streaming-howto.txt to get started.

For the live trace reading, I just submitted all my code base to David
for review and progressive merge into master, we intend to have a RC1
around mid-november.

> 2. How can I get started?
If you want to try the live trace reading, I can send you my branches on
github, but I would recommend you wait until the first review is done.

> 3. Is the protocol(s) documented and reasonably stable? If so, where can
> I find information about said protocol(s)?
Right now the streaming and live-reading protocols are not documented. I
am starting the live-reading protocol documentation right now, I'll send
it here when it is done.

Thanks,

Julien