[lttng-dev] Getting function names with lttng-ust-cyg-profile.so

Matthew Khouzam matthew.khouzam at ericsson.com
Tue Sep 10 11:15:38 EDT 2013

Hi Alex and Mathieu,

A year ago we discussed this and said iirc: "the addresses are a good
first step, we'll do more later." and "It would be nice to dump the
stabs into the metadata of the ctf trace"

I would still maintain that this seems to be the way to go.

A technical hurdle that is probably trivial to our high level tracing
vanguards would be to handle dlopens and libs that replace other libs.

I would suggest something like this in TSDL:

location {
    address = 0xdeadbeef;
    name = "get_actual_lost_events";
}

location {
    address = 0xf00ff00f;
    name = "get_pretend_lost_events";
    // optional
    timestart = 123456;
    timeend = 123457;
}

The metadata will get big and dynamic though.