[lttng-dev] Interplay of enable-channel options

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 31 15:48:15 EDT 2013

Harking back to Mathieu's post of 3 May 2013 10:42:22, I'd like to see if I understand the options correctly.  I'm pretty sure I don't.

When a channel has been set to use per-UID buffering, if an event-producing user-space process dies suddenly it may create a "hole" in one of the channel's sub-buffers, temporarily preventing the consumer from getting access to the sub-buffer.  Once the other event producers have filled the remaining sub-buffers, the session daemon will try to re-use the "hung" sub-buffer, at which point it will be discarded.  Unrelated events in the sub-buffer will be lost.

If the channel is also set to --discard, does this mean the session daemon will not flush the hung sub-buffer?  This would mean the consumer daemon waits at the holed sub-buffer and never gets past it.

What if --read-timer has been set to a non-zero value?  Will the holed sub-buffer be flushed at that point in time?  In this case the producers may not even have time to fill the remaining sub-buffers.

How can the session daemon create a hole in a sub-buffer, anyway?  Doesn't it get all of the event's description and payload in its own working memory before starting to write it out to the sub-buffer?

Daniel U. Thibault
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) | Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
Fax : (418) 844-4538
NAC : 918V QSDJ <http://www.travelgis.com/map.asp?addr=918V%20QSDJ>
Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada
<http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>