[lttng-dev] LTTNG on Android ICS

Francis Giraldeau francis.giraldeau at gmail.com
Fri May 24 15:04:10 EDT 2013

Hi,

I got some problem compiling required libraries for lttng-tools. I did a
full android build within repo:

$ source build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch # with full_maguro-eng
$ m

Build is fine, but when trying to run configure in lttng-tools, it can't
find liboprofile_popt. Here is the error message in config.log:

/home/francis/android/android-ndk-r8e/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6/prebuilt/linux-x86_64/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.6/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld:
/home/francis/android/repo/out/target/product/maguro/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/liboprofile_popt_intermediates/liboprofile_popt.a(popthelp.o):
in function singleOptionHelp.isra.4:bionic/libc/include/stdio.h:483: error:
undefined reference to '__sprintf_chk'

It seems that only the static library of liboprofile_popt is compiled.

The symbol is defined in libc.a and libc.so:

$ nm
./out/target/product/maguro/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libc_intermediates/LINKED/libc.so
| grep -E "__strlen_chk|__sprintf_chk"
0001395d T __sprintf_chk
00012df1 T __strlen_chk

I tried to compile the configtest.c file by hand and it worked, so it
really seems to be some kind of environment variable that make it fail.

For the people who managed to do the configure, what arguments should be
supplied to configure? Or maybe it's my android build that is incomplete?
Should I build sub-directories in addition to the build in the root android
repo sources?

Cheers!

Francis

2013/5/24 Pierre-Luc St-Charles <pierre-luc.st-charles at polymtl.ca>

> The required kernel configuration options for the modules are listed in
> the lttng-module README file, located in its project root directory. Some
> of the 'optional' options also listed there are simply not supported by
> 3.0.x ARM kernels (such as HAVE_SYSCALL_TRACEPOINTS), so you might be
> missing some modules compared to what you would get on a (x86 arch w/
> recent kernel) platform.
>
> You can find more information on syscall tracing on ARM here:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.tracing.lttng.devel/5086
>

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Ionut D. <ionut5001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I managed to fix it. It was not finding `lttng-consumerd`, I fixed it by
>> configuring the package with the right path. But, about the kernel modules
>> the question is still pertinent. What options should I check in the
>> kernel configuration? I saw that in my case not all the lttng kernel
>> modules have been compiled.
>>

>> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Ionut D. <ionut5001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the slides. I manged to build the kernel modules and I
>>> insmod them manually. On the device I copied in /data/lttng following
>>> binaries `lttng`, `lttng-relayd` and `lttng-sessiond`. If I execute
>>> `./lttng list -k` it shows me a list of available kernel events. I create a
>>> session called mysession with `./lttng create mysession` and I enable
>>> tracing on all the event with `./lttng enable-event -a -k`. But here starts
>>> my problem.
>>>
>>> The output of the last command is the following:
>>>
>>> root at android:/data/lttng # ./lttng enable-event -a -k
>>> PERROR [3681/3681]: kernel start consumer exec: (null) (in
>>> spawn_consumerd() at main.c:2007)
>>> Error: Condition timed out. The consumer thread was never ready. Killing
>>> it
>>> Warning: Using pthread_kill as pthread_cancel is missing on the current
>>> platform
>>> PERROR [3608/3658]: write poll pipe: (null) (in notify_thread_pipe() at