[lttng-dev] Quick questions about liburcu and RCU in general

Richard Braun rbraun at sceen.net
Tue May 7 05:46:36 EDT 2013

Hello,

I'm currently studying RCU/URCU, and I have a few questions that I wasn't
sure where to ask.

1/ Why use poll instead of sched_yield in e.g. force_mb_all_readers ?
(I guess it's about portability and the effect is expected to be the same,
but is there another reason ?)

2/ What was the conclusion of the discussion regarding sys_membarrier ?
(I couldn't find it in the main mail thread, and it looks quite interesting,
even though I expect most carefully written applications not to exceed
one thread per processor too much)

3/ Do you know if IBM allows the use of patented RCU techniques in GPLv3+
code as well ? ("GPL" is mentioned in the Linux documentation, and
apparently liburcu is covered by LGPLv2+ so I expect that to be the case,
just looking for a confirmation)

Thanks for your answers.

--
Richard Braun