[lttng-dev] How to disable an event that's been enabled by a wildcard selection or -a?

Woegerer, Paul Paul_Woegerer at mentor.com
Fri May 3 06:40:53 EDT 2013

On 05/02/2013 03:40 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I would be interested to see this feature upstream. Previously was not a
> good timing to pull it in, because we were adding the concept of event
> "enablers" within lttng-ust.

Sounds great. I will port our patch to master.

> One thing I'm curious about is how you present the logical combination
> with exlusion match are present. For instance, if we only have
> inclusion, we get:
>
> lttng enable-event 'a'
> lttng enable-event 'c'
> lttng enable-event 'zc*'
>
> it turns into :   (a || c || zc*)
>
> I expect that negation would look like:
>
> lttng enable-event 'a'
> lttng enable-event '!abc*'
> lttng enable-event 'c'
> lttng enable-event '!cxx'

Our current solution does not handle '!cxx' correctly.
I will fix that.

> lttng enable-event 'zc*'
>
> ->  !(abc* || cxx) || (a || c || zc*)

Exactly. The "!something" wildcards are always first and will prevent further matching with non-! wildcards.

> Am I correct ? If yes, we should expand lttng-tools lttng(1) manpage and
> cmd help with this info.

I will take care of documentation updates as well.

> Can you make sure it works well with lttng-ust master branch ?

Once I have a working, tested patch against master I will send it to you.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Woegerer | SW Development Engineer
http://go.mentor.com/sourceryanalyzer

Mentor Embedded(tm) | Prinz Eugen Straße 72/2/4, Vienna, 1040 Austria
Nucleus® | Linux® | Android(tm) | Services | UI | Multi-OS

Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.
Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.