[lttng-dev] Questions about CTF format

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Thu May 2 16:27:58 EDT 2013

* Diego Dompe (ddompe at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> Thanks for the help. Here is my list of details:
>
> - Clocks: the spec doesn't explain properly that timestamps are an offset
> from the base time of the clock they refer to. Since I was using 64bit
> timestamps I somehow assumed that I was using absolute timestamps from the
> epoch (although the spec doesn't says it either).

Not sure if it was there when you wrote your comment, but the CTF spec
currently has:

"The "offset_s" and "offset" fields indicate the offset from POSIX.1
Epoch, 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000 (UTC), to the zero of value of the
clock."

> - I saw that the lttng-generated traces for metadata are always a multiple
> of 4k in size (at least the ones I generate for either kernel or user
> space). I can't find where in the spec it mentions requirements regarding
> metadata packet padding. I was generating metadata packets that ended up
> right after my TSDL and eclipse wasn't happy about it (although I didn't
> try babeltrace). Also I found that the lttng-generated traces have a
> "empty" metadata packet after the metadata containing the TSDL, I didn't
> find either any documentation regarding this.

Babeltrace had a limitation on not accepting packets smaller than 4kB
(page size actually), but it is now fixed.