[lttng-dev] [RFC-PATCH] Add packet details to net_* tracepoints

Geneviève Bastien gbastien+lttng at versatic.net
Fri Mar 15 12:55:31 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm working on the trace synchronization in the TMF viewer.  For this I need to match network packets from all machines.  The net_dev_queue and netif_receive_skb tracepoints are ideal candidates for this, but they do not record enough information and from their location in the kernel code, they do not yet have all the required information easily available (see comment in the patch).

This patch proposes an approach to get this information without having too much packet processing to do.  For now, I plan to use only tcp header information to match packets.  Eventually I'd like to change the metadata of those events for a variant type so the bytes of the packet headers already map to their fields in the struct.

I'd like some feedback on the approach.  Or if there is another approach to this (network packet matching) that seems more appropriate with lttng 2.x

Thanks,
Geneviève Bastien