[lttng-dev] static versus dynamic linking (TRACEPOINT_PROBE_DYNAMIC_LINKAGE)

David Bryant david.bryant at quantum.com
Sun Mar 3 18:51:45 EST 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to decide whether to use static or dynamic tracepoint probe
linkage. What are the factors that I should consider?

Are there any licensing related issues? For example, is closed-source
software allowed to use static linking?

Is it purely an organisational feature, i.e., allowing a program to be
cleanly severed from its probes when they are not in use?

(This is a bit of a re-post, but I didn't get any response last time...)

Thanks,
Dave