[lttng-dev] Installation of LTTng on the TILEncore-Gx card (TILE-Gx processor)

Simon Marchi simon.marchi at polymtl.ca
Mon Feb 11 20:36:54 EST 2013

Now that the support for the TileGx architecture is integrated in the
various tools of the LTTng chain, I thought I could reduce the bus
factor and post the installation steps to get LTTng up and running on
this platform. The steps assume that the TILERA_ROOT variable is set
correctly. The version of the Tilera MDE used is 4.1.3.150969 with the
TILEncore-Gx card.

= urcu installation =
$ git clone git://git.lttng.org/userspace-rcu.git
$ ./bootstrap
$ ac_cv_func_malloc_0_nonnull=yes ./configure --host=tile
--prefix=$TILERA_ROOT/tile/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

= lttng-ust installation =
$ git clone git://git.lttng.org/lttng-ust.git
$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure --host=tile --prefix=$TILERA_ROOT/tile/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

= lttng-tools installation =
$ git clone git://git.lttng.org/lttng-tools.git
$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure --host=tile --prefix=$TILERA_ROOT/tile/usr/local
--with-consumerd64-bin=/usr/local/lib/lttng/libexec/lttng-consumerd
--with-consumerd64-libdir=/usr/local/lib
$ make
$ make install

By default, /usr/local/lib is not in the dynamic linker's search path,
so you should add it:
$ echo "/usr/local/lib" >> $TILERA_ROOT/tile/etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf

You should boot the card using --root so that the filesystem in
$TILERA_ROOT/tile gets loaded on the card:
$ tile-monitor --root

Once on the card, you can set your path to include /usr/local/bin,
update the linker cache and set the path of the session daemon binary:
$ export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
$ ldconfig
$ LTTNG_SESSIOND_PATH=/usr/local/bin/lttng-sessiond

Now you should be ready to go, I hope I didn't forget any step. Have
fun ust-tracing !

Kernel tracing is a little bit more tricky because the kernel config
shipped by Tilera does not activate tracepoints. There is also a fix
needed to properly load the modules. Let's hope that these two issues
will be resolved in a future version of the MDE. In the meantime, I
can provide the instructions on this list or by personal email if
anybody needs or wants them.

Thanks,

Simon