[lttng-dev] Ctf specification on Variants and Enums

Matthew Khouzam matthew.khouzam at ericsson.com
Thu Dec 5 17:19:44 EST 2013

Hi,
In the ctf specifications variants need a tag that is an enum. An enum
can have identifiers as Strings. The enum can contain strings.

so if you have an enum:int32{"a","b","c", d} tag;
and a variant <tag> { int "a"; int "b"... } according to the spec it
should be fine.
according to the test cases it fails.

Please clarify where my logic went astray.

Also, in reading the spec, there are no guaranties that enums contain
ANY values of the fields of the variants. I think this is problematic

enum { a,b,c}
variant{
x,y,z} passes.