[lttng-dev] [REVIEW REQUEST babeltrace] Provide generic event payload accessors to the Python bindings

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon Aug 26 11:48:55 EDT 2013

* Jérémie Galarneau (jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to submit a review request for commits 34cf520 .. 3c5bb23 of
> my bindings/python branch[1]. These are patches that were originally
> contributed by Xiaona Han, that I have reviewed and to which I have
> made minor changes (fixed typos and clarified some commit messages).

Some comments:

I notice e.g. in commit
34cf520df2f1df84a74a495a6f9a8d991f168c2e
Return event fields by field name

that the changelog appears to be really wide. In "git show", it goes
beyond a 80-col screen. Please ensure that those changelogs are max 72
lines in length, to make it easier to look at them in git show, and also
to facilitate patch review, where they can easily become indented in
reply messages,

6002606 Remove the unnecessary underscore prefix
looks OK.

fb0936d Support getting the value of enums
looks OK.

fb0ecd1c138a0b903090521406d239cf68b7e5e1
Use a unique name to get a field's value

+                       if id == ctf.type_id.ARRAY:
+                               return self.get_char_array()

I not sure if it is already checked somewhere, but if we have an array
of e.g. uint64_t elements (not characters), is it OK to return a char
array ?

I'd be tempted to return a char array only if the encoding is ASCII or
UTF8, and only if the array contains 8-bit characters. But maybe this is
validated elsewhere ?

5891c4d Support for the sequence type
looks OK

3c5bb23 Add a python bindings sequence test
looks OK