[lttng-dev] [LTTNG][LTTng-ust] "Out of system" building patches.

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Aug 26 10:22:49 EDT 2013

Dear Jimmy Durand,

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:34:16 +0200, Jimmy Durand wrote:

> > What feature is this patchset adding that is not covered by the usual
> > approach ? Or what is it fixing ?
> >
> Actually, this is enough for a regular system build, but if you wish to
> build
> it in another directory with --prefix=<PATH>, which is the case for cross-
> compiling, this not enough.

When I hear someone say that --prefix=... is needed for
cross-compilation, it's usually an indication that the
cross-compilation is done incorrectly.

--prefix indicates the location where the software will be *executed*
on the target. So even when you're cross-compiling, the default of
--prefix=/usr or --prefix=/usr/local is fine.

All what you need to do is pass
DESTDIR=/your/temporary/location/on/your/build/machine when doing make
install.

Buildroot (http://buildroot.org), which some of your colleagues at
OpenWide are using, does cross-compile LTTng without such changes to
LTTng build system.

Best regards,

Thomas
--