[lttng-dev] LTTng project development activities August 2013

Christian Babeux christian.babeux at efficios.com
Wed Aug 7 15:39:58 EDT 2013

Hi lttng-aficionados,

July 2013 summary:

- Release candidate for 2.3 (Dominus Vobiscum) : the snapshots and
crash handler are the new features for this version. See announcement
[1] for more information.

- Minor releases galore:

LTTng-UST 2.2.1
LTTng-UST 2.1.4
LTTng-UST 2.0.8

LTTng modules 2.2.1
LTTng modules 2.1.3
LTTng modules 2.0.8

LTTng Tools 2.2.3, 2.2.2, 2.2.1
LTTng Tools 2.1.2
LTTng Tools 2.0.6

On-going work:

- We are currently in code freeze for the release candidate phase of
version 2.3. Please use and test this release candidate and report
bugs on our bug tracker [2]. We are aiming for a stable release at the
end of August.

- Julien Desfossez is currently working on live streaming. With this
feature, a user will be able to ingest tracing data as it is produced
with a suitable viewer such as Babeltrace. This will be the main
feature for the upcoming 2.4 release. Stay tuned for 2.4 release
candidate announcements.

- Jérémie Galarneau is currently working on a Common Trace Format
(CTF) writer in the Babeltrace codebase. With this feature, the
process of writing CTF compliant traces will be much easier. This
feature will probably end up in Babeltrace 1.2.

- Christian Babeux is currently working on a Nexus to CTF traces converter.

- Our GSoC student, Zifei Tong, is currently working on adding dynamic
tracing capabilities to lttng-tools/ust. See the "[RFC] Dynamic
instrumentation support in UST" [3] for more information. You can see
the progress on that feature on Zifei's Github [4].

- As suggested in a previous thread, a cleanup on the bug tracker
should occur this month.

This is a first attempt at a monthly summary for the development
activities surrounding the LTTng project. Let me know how we can
further improve it or if you want to showcase your LTTng related
projects.

Thanks,

Christian

[1] - https://lttng.org/lttng-toolchain-230-rc1-now-available