[lttng-dev] Use of sub-buffers - more subbuffers but smaller, or less but bigger?

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue Aug 6 21:13:27 EDT 2013

* Amit Margalit (AMITM at il.ibm.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to understand the trade-offs involved in choosing sub-buffer
> number and size.
>
> So the question is what are the benefits and the disadvantages of
> choosing, say, 32 subbuffers of 1MB versus 8 subbuffers of 4MB, or maybe 4
> subbuffers of 8MB?

Boundaries of subbuffers are synchronization points, so you add slightly
more overhead with smaller sub-buffers. This is an argument for having
few large sub-buffers.

Also, with periodical timer flush (useful for upcoming streaming
feature), you might want more than two sub-buffers per buffer, because
otherwise, you might run into situations where the buffer appears to be
full (and therefore events are discarded) just because the timer flush
flushes a sub-buffer before it is filled. This is an argument for not
making the number of sub-buffers _too_ small if you use switch timer.

Hoping this helps,