[lttng-dev] Looking for documentation on the old LTTng trace formats, 2.3-2.6

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 6 09:56:42 EDT 2013

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:24:34 +0200
From: "=?utf-8?Q?David_Lindstr=C3=B6m?=" <david.lindstrom at percepio.se>

I?m looking for documentation on the old/legacy LTTng trace formats. Before LTTng 2.x and CTF that is. I found a PDF titled "LTTng Trace Binary Format
v2.3 Guidelines" which details the 2.3 format nicely. However, I need to support the later versions as well which I'm unable to find anything at all about. What changed between 2.3 and 2.6?

Does such documentation even exists? If not, what would be my best options to figure it out?

Mvh
David Lindström
------------------------------

   I had to deal with this when I wrote a RapidMiner plugin that could read LTTng Trace Format 2.6 traces.  The format does not even have a name or designation, so I started calling it LTF (LTTng Trace Format).  Here is the schedule of "LTTng 1" (a.k.a. LTTng 0.x) trace proprietary formats (indicating lower bounds):

LTF 0.4 LTTV 0.6.9 LTTng 0.4.4
LTF 0.5      0.7.0       0.4.5
LTF 0.6      0.8.0       0.5.0
LTF 0.7      0.8.6       0.5.7
LTF 0.8      0.8.80      0.6.78
LTF 1.0      0.10.0-pre1 0.10.0-pre5
LTF 2.0      0.11.0      0.38
LTF 2.1      0.11.1      0.39
LTF 2.2      0.11.4      0.47
LTF 2.3      0.12.0      0.65
LTF 2.4      0.12.21     0.171
LTF 2.5      0.12.22     0.173
LTF 2.6      0.12.30     0.191
LTF id.      0.12.38     0.249   (last versions)

For instance, LTF 2.1 was used starting with LTTng 0.39, and was replaced by LTF 2.2 with LTTng 0.47.

As you've seen, the pre-2.3 documentation is fragmentary and very poor, the *only* true documentation being Philippe Proulx (2009), "LTTng Trace Binary Format v2.3 Guidelines".

One key difference between formats 2.3 and 2.5 is in the block header, where the lost_size field (indicating how many bytes of padding are at the block's end) became its complement, used_size (indicating how many bytes of the block are useful).

I have not yet identified any differences of consequence between LTF 2.5 and 2.6.  If you have samples of traces in specific legacy formats (pre-2.3 in particular), I'd love to run my LTFReader on them and see if anything pops.

Daniel U. Thibault
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) | Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) | Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) | Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245