[lttng-dev] Mandatory name for some field in a CTF trace

Yannick Brosseau yannick.brosseau at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:39:43 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm writing a CTF writer for perf and I'm discovering that some
mandatory fields for a CTF trace are not documented.
We must call the time field "timestamp" and the id field mapping event
to their description must be "id".
Looking at parser source code, we can find other field like that.

Would it be interesting to add this information in the CTF spec? Or
should we write a second spec on the side for that kind of information?
The question we want to answer is "What do I need to put in a CTF file
to make it possible for a viewer to display it?"

Yannick