[lttng-dev] GSoC 2013, "C++ probe support" project and more

Zifei Tong soariez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 14:47:36 EDT 2013

Hi Suchakra and Christian

> Nice! I have done something similar here and I was able to build and insert code
> snippets. But then I am more inclined towards analysing performance of dyninst.

According the document and my test, turn
'BPatch::setTrampRecursive(true)' on will reduce the 'mutatee'
instrumentation overhead a lot.

> You might also be interested in 'fast tracepoint' infrastructure and normal tracepoints provided by gdb.
> But getting gdb's infra for dynamic tracing with UST may be somewhat a serious hack.

Thanks for pointing out gdb's 'fast tracepoint' feature. I just
compiled gdb and got 'ftrace' work.

> Quote form gdb document [1]: "At present, the UST (LTTng Userspace Tracer, http://lttng.org/ust) tracing engine is supported."

So does it mean the dynamic instrumentation project is already done by
the gdb guys?

> The dynamic instrumentation project is very interesting indeed. I also
> think it could be doable as a GSoC project. Do you have any plan on
> how you would integrate dyninst with UST?
> Also, a quick reminder that the GSoC application for student is open
> until May 3rd. Don't forget to send us your proposal :)!

I will finish my proposal as soon possible.

Thanks.

[1] http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/Server.html#Server
--
Best Regards,