[lttng-dev] checkinstall and lttng-ust with Java/JNI support

Thibault, Daniel Daniel.Thibault at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Apr 25 09:41:20 EDT 2013

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Alexandre Montplaisir [mailto:alexmonthy at voxpopuli.im]
Envoyé : 24 avril 2013 17:48

> On 13-04-24 05:25 PM, Thibault, Daniel wrote:
>> dpkg: error processing /home/daniel/Documents/git.lttng.org/lttng-ust-2.2.0-rc1+-a16877a-Java/lttng-ust-java_2.2.0-rc1-12_amd64.deb (--install):
>>  unable to create `/proc/self/coredump_filter.dpkg-new' (while
>> processing `./proc/self/coredump_filter'): No such file or directory Processing triggers for man-db ...
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>
> checkinstall has always been kind of sloppy. You could get some insight by printing the contents of the package (by doing "dpkg-deb --contents <package-name>.deb"), it could be an invalid character somewhere, a path it doesn't recognize, etc.

    Comparison with the other two packages shows the problem is that checkinstall somehow included ./proc/self/coredump_filter in the contents.  The installer fails when trying to create this, of course.  A bug has been filed against checkinstall with Ubuntu Launchpad (#1172711).  Fixing this turns out to be very simple: I deployed the deb's contents using the "Extract Here" contextual menu, renamed the old deb to *.original, deleted the offending proc subdirectory from the deployed contents, and finally repackaged the contents with 'dpkg --build <packagename>'.  Worked like a charm.

> But if you want to build .deb packages to install on something other than your own machine, you should really use dpkg-buildpackage or, even better, pbuilder. Those require proper packaging information in a debian/ sub-directory. You can look at the debian/ directories in the Ubuntu packages (which you can get with "apt-get source lttng-ust"), it should be straightforward to tweak it to your needs.

   Thanks for the tip.  I'll look into those.

Daniel U. Thibault
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) / Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
Cyber sécurité pour les missions essentielles (CME) / Mission Critical Cyber Security (MCCS)
Protection des systèmes et contremesures (PSC) / Systems Protection & Countermeasures (SPC)
2459 route de la Bravoure
Québec, QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
Fax : (418) 844-4538
NAC : 918V QSDJ <http://www.travelgis.com/map.asp?addr=918V%20QSDJ>
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
<http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>