[lttng-dev] [GSoC 2013] projects information

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Mon Apr 15 12:44:13 EDT 2013

Hi Claudiu,

I'm the mentor assigned to the prospective "Trace probe support in C++" project.

I'd recommend you get familiar with one of the lttng-ust example
application (in doc/examples), compile and run it, and read back the
resulting trace using Babeltrace. This will give you an idea of how
tracepoints are integrated in an application to be instrumented. I
have recently proposed a patch that adds example applications and
plain, automake-less, Makefiles to lttng-ust[1]. Clone my personal
development branch[2] to find it already applied.

You will also want to have a look at "tests/hello.cxx" in lttng-ust's
source tree which demonstrates that a C++ application can be compiled
even though a tracepoint header file is included. As explained in that
test's README, the tracepoint provider is compiled as a C library and
then linked into an application compiled as C++.

The objective of this project is to eliminate this intermediate step
and let C++ developers build them directly into their application
as-is. I can only suggest you try to compile your test application and
providers as C++ and work your way through the errors and warnings.
You'll never let anyone tell you C and C++ are the same again!

Thanks for reaching out,
Jérémie

[1] http://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2013-April/020029.html
[2] git clone -b documentation git://github.com/jgalar/lttng-ust.git

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 6:15 AM, Claudiu Olteanu
<olteanu.claudiu at ymail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> My name is Claudiu Olteanu, I'm from Bucharest, Romania and I study at the
> University 'Politehnica' of Bucharest, the Faculty of Automatic Control and
> Computers Science. I'm a third year student and I would like to participate
> to GSoC this summer. After I took a look at the projects list I decided that
> it would be interesting and motivating to work on one of these projects :
>  - Trace probe support in C++
>  - Development of an strace-alike wrapper
>
> I will appreciate it if you give me more details about them and some advice
> that can put me on track.
>
> You can find my CV here[1] in case you want to know more about me.
>
> Regards,
> Claudiu
>
> [1] -
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwSntkUS-WYzVUVoZkYxdzNvNmc/edit?usp=sharing