[lttng-dev] [RFC lttng-tools] Snapshot

Jérémie Galarneau jeremie.galarneau at efficios.com
Thu Apr 11 12:25:28 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM, David Goulet <dgoulet at efficios.com> wrote:

> Jérémie Galarneau:
>> Looks great! A few very minor points:
>>
>> In the "Motivation" section, English mistake: "could be particularly
>> useful *with in* flight recorder mode" should be "could be
>> particularly useful *in* flight recorder mode". Also, "informationS"
>> is generally regarded as incorrect. Information has no plural form.
>>
>> In the "Proposed Solution" section, "the lttng command line UI new
>> command is presented" should be "the new lttng command-line UI command
>> is presented".
>>
>> I'd propose rewriting the sentence "Unlike the other lttng command,
>> this one uses the git alike UI but in the form of the object first and
>>  action after where previous command only use action such as
>> "enable-event" as
>> "This new command uses a git-alike UI, but in the form of the object
>> first followed by the desired action, whereas other commands only use
>> actions such as "enable-event"".
>>
>> I'm not sure I would use an hyphen in "lttng snapshot list-output"
>> when an output alias is present. That's an entirely subjective but it
>> would seem more consistent with git (git remote -v, for instance).
>
> What output format do you propose?

Pretty much the same thing:
[1]: file://[...]
[2]: net://1.1.1.1:8762:9123
[3] ALIAS: file://[...]

Then again, I don't feel strongly about it.

>> Could you clarify what the expected behavior would be when no session
>> name is provided to "lttng snapshot record"? I guess it would capture
>> a snapshot for every session created with the --no-output option.
>> Also, what happens if a single URL is provided and no session name is
>> given (with multiple active flight recorder sessions)?
>
> lttng command always work on the current session if none is defined.
> I'll make it clearer in the RFC.

Will there be a way to snapshot every flight-recorder session (say, on
a trigger) or should it be done by invoking the command with every
session name? Just trying to make the RFC as precise as possible :)

--
Jérémie Galarneau