[lttng-dev] [RFC lttng-tools] Snapshot

Julien Desfossez jdesfossez at efficios.com
Thu Apr 11 11:41:48 EDT 2013

Hi,

> Hi everyone,
>
> This is the initial RFC for snapshot in lttng-tools. Once accepted, it
> will be available in "doc/proposals/0006-lttng-snapshot.txt".
>
> Any questions, comments or fixes are VERY welcome. There are probably
> English mistakes so feel free to point it out to me.

It looks good, just a few comments :

For the add-output command, I think we discussed adding the --max-size
parameter as well to limit the size of the snapshots written to this output.

For the "lttng snapshot record", I think the options should allow to
specify -C/-D also since we can specify an URL.

"This is a blocking call meaning that it will return only if the
snapshot is completed" --> "only when the snapshot is completed or an
error is returned"

"For now, no-wait is not supported by we keep" --> "but we"

Since it will block the caller, should we add a timeout parameter to
lttng_snapshot_record ?

Thanks,

Julien