[lttng-dev] status of lttng top

Julien Desfossez jdesfossez at efficios.com
Mon Oct 8 22:20:14 EDT 2012

Hi,

LTTngTop is still work in progress and will remain that way for a long
time, but the version in the PPA (or in the master branch in git) is
perfectly usable for offline traces (traces recorded and replayed
through LTTngTop).

The "live" branch is more experimental and requires patches in both
Babeltrace and Lttng-tools (all documented in the README-LIVE file), but
it worked at the time of Plumbers, I didn't have much time since then to
rebase the branches.

I am waiting for the release of Lttng-tools 2.1 (currently in RC) before
merging those patches. After these patches are integrated, LTTngTop will
be able to work live without any modifications, so directly reading
traces in memory shared with the tracer.

In the meantime we are working on replacing the "home made" state system
in LTTngTop with a more generic one (which will be used also in LTTV),
this will cleanup this part of the code and allow to store the state on
disk. So in a near future we will be able to only read the state instead
of the trace (once it has been generated), which will compress
significantly the amount of data we need to keep in order to access the
kind of statistics provided by LTTngTop.

If you want to try LTTngTop, you can just install the package and follow
the man page to record a trace with the right contexts, it should work
as is.

If you have any questions and/or feedback, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Julien