[lttng-dev] LTTng Tools 2.1 streaming commands

Bernd Hufmann bernd.hufmann at ericsson.com
Wed Oct 3 14:17:23 EDT 2012

Hello

For the support of LTTng Tools 2.1 in Eclipse, I'm currently trying to understand how to use the configuration for network streaming with the updated "lttng create"-command and new "enable-consumer"-command.

a) lttng enable-consumer
I find this command confusing because this command does not always enables the consumer, even if the command name implies so. The enabling actually depends on how the command is executed.
Examples:
*       "lttng enable-consumer -k -U net://<remote_addr>" or "lttng enable-consumer -k -C tcp://<remote_addr> -D tcp://<remote_addr>" don't enable the consumer. You need to either add option --enable or execute subsequently "lttng enable-consumer --enable"
*       lttng enable-consumer -k net://<remote_addr> does enable the consumer. I took me a while to figure out the difference to the example above: The option -U is omitted.

What the command actually provides, is 2 features: A way to configure streaming (e.g. remote_addr) and a way to enable the consumer. Would it be better to name it to "lttng configure-consumer"? Also, remove the support of the possibility to not specify -U, -C or -D. The following variants of this command should be enough:
lttng configure-consumer -k -U <remote_addr> [--enable]
lttng configure-consumer -k -C <remote_addr> -D <remote_addr> [--enable]
lttng configure-consumer -k --enable
lttng configure-consumer -u -U <remote_addr> [--enable]
lttng configure-consumer -u -C <remote_addr> -D <remote_addr> [--enable]
lttng configure-consumer -u --enable

Please let me know what you think.

b) lttng create [-U <remote_addr>] | [-C <remote_addr> -D <remote_addr>] [--no-consumer] [--disable-consumer]
*       Are options --no-consumer or --disable-consumer only applicable for streaming?
*       I'm not sure what is the purpose of the options --no-consumer or --disable-consumer. Could you please explain the use cases for using --no-consumer or --disable-consumer?

Thanks
Bernd

This Communication is Confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer