[lttng-dev] UST app and lttng-tools compatibility

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon Oct 1 10:56:19 EDT 2012

* Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau at gmail.com) wrote:
> Le 2012-09-29 14:28, Mathieu Desnoyers a écrit :
> > * Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau at gmail.com) wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wanted to share my lttng-ust 2.1 update experience, maybe it will save
> >> time for others.
> >>
> >> I updated lttng-ust recently. After this change, the app would not
> >> produce a trace anymore. No error message is displayed by the traced app
> >> to indicate that something is wrong. Even when setting LTTNG_DEBUG_UST
> >> to the app's environment variable, there is no error message. The debug
> >> output suggests that probes are registered and everything is fine, while
> >> it's not.
> >>
> >> By running lttng-sessiond with -vvv --verbose-consumer, I finally got
> >>
> >> DEBUG2: UST app PID 8112 is not compatible with major version 3
> >> (supporting <= 2) [in ust_app_validate_version() at ust-app.c:2633]
> >>
> >> Updating lttng-tools to 2.1 solved the issue. Seems that it's mandatory
> >> to update lttng-tools to support latest lttng-ust. It may be obvious for
> >> developers, but it should be clear for users that they must upgrade both.
> >>
> >> IMHO, It would be nice if the app side log could tell if the
> >> session/consumer refused the registration.
> >
> > I agree we should do better.
> >
> > Regarding lttng-tools, I think changing this DBG2 message to a WARN
> > message would help, so sessiond would show the warning, except in the
> > case where it is started with "-d".
>
> Excellent idea.

David, can you make this change ?

> > On the application side, this is a bit tricky. It has no way to find out
> > that it has been rejected by the sessiond. The application registers at
> > startup, and then the sessiond keeps the connexion active, but flags it
> > as incompatible internally. The reason we do that is because we don't
> > want the application to retry endlessly.
>
> Could the registration process block until the sessiond returns some
> status?

The session is not "returning" anything to the application. The
application is registering to the sessiond, and all the sessiond can do
is to keep the socket alive or close it.

Even if we added a "command" that the sessiond could use to tell the
application it has a wrong version, that would not be 2.0 material, and
the application wouldn't know about it. Moreover, given we have changed
the communication protocol, not sure we would like to have this extra
command as entirely fixed for now, as it would be part of the
communication protocol (which is not the case for the initial app
registration, with is part of a lower level protocol).

> I understand that in commercial setup, the application should
> not be prevented to start and run normally if tracing is not available
> or misconfigured.

By default, we only block the application for up to 3 seconds at
registration. I think that if we start the application with
LTTNG_UST_REGISTER_TIMEOUT=-1, the application will, in this case, block
forever (see man lttng-ust).

Thanks!

Mathieu