[lttng-dev] latest version of LTTng UST on Ubuntu 12.04

McDermott, Andrew Andrew.McDermott at windriver.com
Tue Nov 20 06:36:30 EST 2012

Hi,

> Let's ask Stéphane Graber, our Ubuntu packager.

The reason I was asking is because I get different behaviour between
Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 12.04.

I have a simple program that uses a few tracepoints to log "hello world"
and a few scalar values.

I run that as:

  lttng create -o /tmp/ust-demo.$$
  lttng enable-event -u -a
  lttng start
  sudo LTTNG_UST_DEBUG=1 ./ust-tracedemo
  lttng stop
  sleep 1.50
  lttng destroy
  babeltrace /tmp/ust-demo.$$

and on Ubuntu I see babletrace list my events on completion.

On Fedora 16, building from source[1], I don't get any events recorded
unless I add the 'tracing' group and ensure that there is a
lttng-sessiond running as root.  This is not true on Ubuntu.

Note: the 'sudo' is deliberate but its presence (or absence) makes no
difference on Fedora.  On Fedora I see no trace created at all.  Adding
a pause to my program and running `lttng list -u' in another shell lists
no active tracepoints.

So I was wondering is there subtle difference in the security policy on
Fedora that would cause this behaviour?  Or perhaps something else
entirely?

[1] the source set I am build on Fedora is:

  userspace-rcu -- v0.6.8
  lttng-ust     -- v2.0.5
  lttng-tools   -- v2.0.4
  babeltrace    -- v1.0.0

I tried building from 'master' for all of those modules today but that
made no difference and that makes me wonder if it is more of a platform
issue as opposed to an LTTng issue.

-- andy