[lttng-dev] latest version of LTTng UST on Ubuntu 12.04

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 19 12:51:19 EST 2012

Hi,

Sorry, I've been terribly busy lately.

Ubuntu has a pretty strict policy of only accepting bugfixes in the
-updates pocket post-release.

For LTTng, the 2.0.x series is supposed to be feature stable so should
in theory be fine to push to the -updates pocket. However for that to
happen, someone needs to grab all the lttng releases from 2.0.1 and
check and justify every changelog entry.

My plan was to spend some time doing that once babeltrace 1.0 is
released which I now see actually happened recently.

We also need to keep in mind that we can't push something to 12.04
that's more recent than what we have in 12.10 as we need to keep a
working upgrade path between 12.04 and 12.10.

So looking at the latest releases, I think we'd want:
 - lttng-tools - 2.0.4
 - lttng-modules - 2.0.5
 - lttng-ust - 2.0.5
 - liburcu - 0.7.5
 - babeltrace - 1.0.0

That'd mean the following stable release updates for Ubuntu 12.10:
 - lttng-tools 2.0.3 => 2.0.4
 - lttng-modules 2.0.4 => 2.0.5
 - ust 2.0.4 => 2.0.5 (the package changed name between 12.04 and 12.10)
 - liburcu 0.7.3 => 0.7.5
 - babeltrace 1.0.0~rc4 => 1.0.0

And then the following stable release updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
 - lttng-tools 2.0.1 => 2.0.4
 - lttng-modules 2.0.2 => 2.0.5
 - lttng-ust 2.0.2 => 2.0.5
 - liburcu 0.6.7 => 0.7.5
 - babeltrace 1.0.0~rc1 => 1.0.0

As everyone of those would be a version change, they'd all need to come
along with a detailed test plan on all 5 supported architectures (amd64,
i386, powerpc, armel, armhf) detailing how upstart (lttng) is ensuring
that no regression has happened.
The libraries will also need to be ABI compatible as rebuilding all
reverse-dependencies isn't an option post-release.

I'd expect that work, assuming lttng upstream's current test plans are
accepted by the Ubuntu Technical Board to be of sufficient quality to
guarantee a regression-free update, to take a good dozen of hours to
prepare followed by reactive work for the month following to get those
into the updates pocket.

I don't think I'll realistically have the time to do that work anytime
soon as lttng isn't a package officially supported by Canonical and so
doesn't fall in my day job activities.

An alternative would be to get lttng into the backports pocket of Ubuntu
12.04, the process for that is quite a bit easier as it doesn't required
Technical Board approval or the strict testing process but will be less
visible to the users as they'll have to explicitly pull it from the
backports pocket (by using apt-get install lttng-tools=2.0.4 for example).

Hope this clarifies the current situation a little.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer