[lttng-dev] Offering to help

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Thu Nov 8 09:22:57 EST 2012

* David Brown (dafidbrown at gmail.com) wrote:
> Michel and Mathieu,
>
> Thanks for the welcome messages. Perhaps since I would lie a "quick
> start guide" myself, I should have a look at creating one first.  Is
> there a guide from the first version that needs updating, or is should
> I be looking to answer the FAQs in a structured way to guide people to
> a quick happy result?

Hi David,

There is currently a "Getting Started" page for lttng 2.x
(http://lttng.org/quickstart), but I think it should be enhanced. For
instance, when stating "First make sure you have lttng-modules (the
kernel modules) and lttng-tools installed.", we should probably provide
pointers to README files of individual projects for installation
directives. The goal is to come up with a very concise document that
contains pointers to reach all the detailed information that users might
be looking for through their first steps with lttng.

Maybe some of the extended quickstart guide at
https://bugs.lttng.org/projects/lttng-tools/wiki (refered to by the
first one) might be the right one to expand though.

If you feel we need to promote this guide with a link in the
documentation page or elsewhere, please let us know,

Thanks!

Mathieu