[lttng-dev] cannot compile babeltrace in cygwin because of undefined symbols

Carlos Céspedes cespedes at ieee.org
Fri May 18 15:41:42 EDT 2012

Hello there,

Sadly I have not been able to compile babeltrace uder cygwin because it has
undefined symbols. This is the error I get from make:

.libs/ctf-text.o: In function `ctf_text_write_event':
/cygdrive/c/Users/cespedec/Downloads/babeltrace/babeltrace-1.0.0-rc2/formats/ctf-text/ctf-text.c:249:
undefined reference to `_ctf_print_timestamp'
/cygdrive/c/Users/cespedec/Downloads/babeltrace/babeltrace-1.0.0-rc2/formats/ctf-text/ctf-text.c:251:
undefined reference to `_ctf_print_timestamp'
/cygdrive/c/Users/cespedec/Downloads/babeltrace/babeltrace-1.0.0-rc2/formats/ctf-text/ctf-text.c:263:
undefined reference to `_ctf_print_timestamp'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:374: recipe for target `libbabeltrace-ctf-text.la' failed

I am using $LDFLAGS=-no-undefined which is a linker flag passed to libtool
in order not to allow undefined symbols.
If I don't use the flag then I get other warnings about:

libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in
i686-pc-cygwin shared libraries

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
../mailbox/libmailutils.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in
i686-pc-cygwin shared libraries

The libtool issue is well explained on this thread:

Simply put cygwin's libtool does not cope well with undefined symbols.

Thanks for your help.