[lttng-dev] [RFC] Readiness for URCU release with RCU lock-free hash table

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue May 1 10:16:09 EDT 2012

Hi!

After 1 year of development, with the last 6-7 months spent polishing
the API and testing the implementation, I think it is getting about time
to release the RCU lock-free hash table in a new Userspace RCU version
(0.7).

I recently described the guarantees provided by the hash table in more
detail, and created tests for the uniqueness guarantee for traversals
performed concurrently with add_unique and add_replace operations. I
also added test modes that create long hash chains, to test corner-cases
of the hash table.

One small thing I wonder is whether we should document that the hash
table update operations imply full memory barriers ?

I'm personally getting confident that the hash table API is clean
enough, and the implementation well tested, but I'd like to have your
thoughts on the readiness of the hash table for production use.