[lttng-dev] Question about lttng daemons

Alexandre Montplaisir alexmonthy at voxpopuli.im
Thu Jul 26 10:41:18 EDT 2012

Hi,

I can answer your first question ;)

On 12-07-26 04:28 AM, changz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is that possible to launch lttng daemons as a system service? i.e. we
> can start/stop/restart it like the services under /etc/init.d.

Absolutely. Note that you only need to auto-start the lttng-sessiond.
The consumerd daemons get started automatically by the sessiond when
trace sessions are created. This is a nice way to start a root session
daemon at boot time, which then allows users in the "tracing" group to
use the kernel tracer without being root themselves.

We don't ship an example in the source tree, since this is usually
distro-specific, but for reference you can look at the Upstart script
that is available in the Ubuntu package:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/quantal/lttng-tools/quantal/view/head:/debian/lttng-tools.lttng-sessiond.upstart

Alex