[lttng-dev] some questions on lttng

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Mon Jul 23 10:13:31 EDT 2012

* Bingfeng.Zhao at emc.com (Bingfeng.Zhao at emc.com) wrote:

> [...]

Indeed.

> If I find something wrong, I would like enable the trace at once and
> try to figure out what happen.

Yes, but it would be a shame if the tracer, when enabled to diagnose
the issue you are encountering, modify the system behavior too much
(e.g. by blocking the application), and thus makes the problem disappear
under tracing, or worse, triggers other problems.

> At this time, (possible) lost event
> will make the trouble shooting much difficult (example for those rare
> race condition issues) as you cannot reason about what you collected
> if there are some messages lost. So all the meaning of static trace
> may lost and such scenario is not rare in production.

The LTTng kernel and UST tracers provide information about events
discarded in the packet headers which help the user understand where the
events have been dropped, and what to do about it (increase their buffer
size for the next time they trace this workload). That should be
sufficient to reproduce issues with a fixed, preallocated amount of
resources, without changing the behavior of the traced system too much
(without blocking). I think minimizing the impact of a running tracer
(no blocking, no system slowdown, no possible application hang due to
tracer bug) outweight the downside of having to gather another run
of trace for the rare cases where events were discarded.

Thoughts ?