[lttng-dev] WG: Reading CTF trace using Babeltrace API

Salman Rafiq salman.rafiq at esk.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jul 23 07:35:04 EDT 2012

Hello All,

In continuation to my previous questions related to reading CTF traces from particular timestamp, I can now further summarize few problems/questions I have:

1.       Is it possible to seek CTF file_stream using 'begin' and 'end' iterator position i.e. BT_SEEK_TIME?

a.       We cannot use babel trace API for CTF iterator creation using defined start and end position based on time. Seems this is in progress?

b.      The other possible solution I am using, is to create the iterator using defaults, and then later use API to 'create iterator time position based on Raw Timestamp (only takes raw time)' and then 'set iterator position to that timed position'.

2.       But, since the area of interest for me was only the time when user application which I am tracing using Lttng-kernel tracer, started recording events (application use external trace recording format).

User application contains a definition file which tells me the epoch time (us resolution) when it started and stopped tracing. I wanted to use this information to set iterator positions.

a.       Question is Can I convert this time to raw time which babeltrace API takes as an argument?

b.      Or Is there any way to read Clock struct from CTF metadata file (is there any scope defined for this), so that I can extract offset variable value to convert epoch time from other trace to raw time?

It will be really great if I can get few suggestions/help related to these issues.
Thanking in anticipation!

Best Regards,

Salman Rafiq
Research Engineer
Industrial Communication
Fraunhofer-Einrichtung für Systeme der Kommunikationstechnik ESK

Hansastraße 32 | 80686 München
Telefon, Fax:  +49 89 547088-356 | +49 89 547088-66-356
E-Mail:   salman.rafiq at esk.fraunhofer.de<http://www.esk.fraunhofer.de/>

Internet:
http://www.esk.fraunhofer.de<http://www.esk.fraunhofer.de/>
http://www.facebook.com/FraunhoferESK