[lttng-dev] Requesting help running LTTng-UST

eikosaedron at gmail.com eikosaedron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 02:55:40 EDT 2012

I've inherited a project that had LTTng userspace tracing built in in early 2012. I installed the latest LTTng releases from source on my build machine (debian 6 3.4) and built the binaries with LTTng enabled. I'm running them on a test server (sles 11 3.1) with a slightly older version of LTTng installed (current from two months ago).

I have been running the binaries with appropriate input and invoking LTTng without any obvious problems, but have been unable to observe any tracing results. LTTng --verbose flags don't reveal any errors. I have started LTTng based on a sample script that came with the project so I believe it was invoked correctly.

My main question at this point is whether I should consider downgrading my build machine or upgrading the test machine, whether tracing is likely broken in the binaries, or if there is anything else I may have overlooked. I hope someone more experienced with running LTTng can advise me as this is new ground for me.

Thanks,
Jon