[lttng-dev] Integration of the state history system in LTTv

Alexandre Montplaisir alexandre.montplaisir at polymtl.ca
Thu Jan 26 20:14:31 EST 2012

Hi Simon,

Very impressive write-up, glad to see it's coming along ;)

Before going into anything too specific, I would have 2 points to comment:

- Where is the separation between "libstate" and the LTTV state module?
Actually, why is there a separation at all? By itself, libstate doesn't
seem to have any useful functionality and would depend on the LTTV
module (which wouldn't be available, for example, in lttng-top). I have
an example inline below.

- You also decided to separate the history creation part from the
queries part. On the Java side, we have both insertions and queries go
through "StateSystem" which is probably equivalent to "libstate" here. I
don't think yours is a bad idea either, however it does not hurt to have
the queries go through the "central" state system :
Let's suppose you want to query a history that is being built. The
information is either in the current (transient) state, OR in the
history, and this will vary per attribute (depending on the start time
of the latest state change). If it's in the "transient state", you
return it straight from memory. If it's in the history however, you will
do a normal query on the history on disk.

So I would suggest having one central location for queries and
insertions, and it would make sense to put that in libstate. That way
other applications could use that functionality. libinterval could then
be, optionally of course, used by libstate if you want a history (with
dlopen() maybe?)

- (third point, sorry I lied) In fact, why would you need a LTTV module
at all? If your goal is to make a full-blown shared library, wouldn't it
be easier to simply link LTTV dynamically with it? Genuinely asking
here, as I am not too familiar with LTTV's inner architecture, and
wondering what could make it easier for you guys.

One more comment below,

On 12-01-26 06:46 PM, Simon Marchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For those who don't know, we recently started working on the
> integration of the state history system designed by Alexandre
> Montplaisir in LTTv. This will include a C++ rewrite and a bit of
> design work to keep the code as modular as possible. For example, we
> want to make sure it is possible to use the state system without the
> history part. Here is a brief description of the different parts we
> plan to create.
>
> Comments, questions and advices are very welcome !
>

> * libState (or something like that)
>
> The libState library can be used to represent the current state of a
> system in the form of an attribute tree. An attribute is a mapping
> between a key (a string) and a value (generally a string, an integer
> or a null value). The attribute tree is analoguous to the structure of
> a filesystem, since an attribute can contain children attributes in
> addition to its own value. When the path of an attribute is specified,
> it can be either absolute or relative to another attribute.
>
> The possible operations on the attribute tree are:
> - Add a new attribute, specifying its value.
> - Change the value of an existing attribute.
> - Delete an attribute and all its descendants.
> - Get the parent attribute of an attribute.
> - Get the children attributes of an attribute, or their number.
> - Get the total number of attributes in the tree.
>
> libState is independent from LTTv, is not domain-specific, and could
> be packaged separately.
>

> * libInterval (or something like that)
>
> The libInterval library can be used to represent and save an interval
> tree in memory or on disk. Each interval is characterized by begin and
> end timestamps, a value and a key.
>
> The possible operations on the interval tree are:
> - Add an interval, specifying its key, value and begin/end timestamp.
> - Lookup intervals that intersect a punctual time value.
> - Lookup an interval that intersects a punctual time value and that
> matches a given key.
>
> Due to the nature of the storage of the interval tree on disk,
> deletion of intervals probably won't be possible.
>
> Like libState, libInterface is indenpendent from LTTv, is not
> domain-specific, and could be packaged separately.
>

> * LTTv State module
>
> The State module's job is to receive attribute value changes and to
> store them to constantly maintain the current state of all attributes
> in the system.
> It also keeps the timestamp associated to the last
> state change of every attribute, so that when the state of an
> attribute changes, it is possible to create an interval for the
> previous value.

Ok so this is the part we were calling the "transient state" (which
represents the current state of the system as it was, at the point where
we are now reading the trace). But you mentionned earlier that libstate
would allow to

- Change the value of an existing attribute.

Changing the value of an existing attribute implies having to maintain
the transient state, which in turn implies creating the intervals for
the old states that get replaced. This is mainly where I think you
should keep "libstate" and the "lttv state module" together.

Thoughts, questions, comments, please let me know!

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Montplaisir
DORSAL lab,