[lttng-dev] Bash completion v0.00001

Simon Marchi simon.marchi at polymtl.ca
Tue Jan 24 13:47:08 EST 2012

Yes, that's what i thought.

When you type "git branch <tab><tab>", it gives you a list of
branches. If you type "git branch -<tab><tab>", it gives you the list
of options that apply to branch.

In the same idea, "lttng start <tab><tab>" should give you a list of
existing sessions (TODO), but "lttng start -<tab><tab>" should give
you the list of options that apply to start.

Simon

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:18, David Goulet <david.goulet at polymtl.ca> wrote:

> Actually Simon, forget it. It's perfectly fine like that. Since there is only
> "--*" options in the second level, a simple:
>
> lttng create -<double tab>, works perfectly fine. And I checked, it's standard
> way to go since you could do file auto completion and we don't want that mixed
> with options.
>
> I'll add this in the upstream very soon.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> David
>
> On 12-01-24 12:05 PM, David Goulet wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> This works like a charm except for one thing.
>>
>> For the first level (only "lttng"), if I <double tab>, all possibilities are
>> print out, which is very nice but for the second level, not working :(.
>>
>> Is it possible to add the automatic print of all available options?
>>
>> Thanks
>> David
>>
>> On 12-01-23 11:17 PM, Simon Marchi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>>> This is my first or so version of the programmable bash completion
>>> (tab completion) for the LTTng 2.0 command line tool:
>>
>>> http://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~smarchi?p=lttng-bash-completion.git;a=blob;f=lttng;hb=HEAD
>>
>>> Currently, it is able to complete general options (before the
>>> command), the command names and command-specific options (after the
>>> command). The patch I sent earlier today for lttng-tools is needed for
>>> the completion to work, so if you want to try it, you can either wait
>>> for it to be merged or apply it yourself.
>>
>>> Install instructions for Debian-based distros:
>>
>>> 1- Make sure that the bash-completion package is installed on your system
>>> 2- Copy the file in /etc/bash_completion.d