[lttng-dev] [CTF] Dynamic enumerations and state system

Aaron Spear aspear at vmware.com
Tue Jan 17 18:21:16 EST 2012

Hi Mathieu and Alexandre,

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mathieu Desnoyers" <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com>
> Good to hear that the state tree is a good container for this kind of
> information. So I'll drop the "dynamic enumerations" from my CTF
> roadmap.

It does seem though that in any case CTF meta-data must have a standardized way to express that a value is a "state" though right?  (as well as some help for interpretation of the state value).  Take a counting semaphore for instance.  Every OS I have seen has some sort of control block that has an integer that is the count.  Every post or wait increments or decrements the count respectively.  It would be nice if we could describe this for any OS with just annotations on the wait and post events in the CTF meta-data.  Then the analyzer would be able to display the semaphore value at any point in time without knowing anything special about the OS.

cheers,
Aaron Spear