[lttng-dev] lttng patch 2.6.28 kprobe_mutex undeclared problem

Paul Richardson paul.richardson at picochip.com
Fri Jan 13 09:36:33 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to apply patch 'patch-2.6.28-lttng-0.85.tar.gz' to the standard linux kernel 2.6.28 taken directly from linux.org. I'm afraid it has to be kernel 2.6.28 and not a latter version.

1)      Whilst the patch applies OK using 'quilt push -a' when I go to build the kernel, first performing  a 'make xconfig' then a 'make uImage' I get the following build error:

arch/arm/kernel/kprobes.c: In function 'arch_remove_kprobe':
arch/arm/kernel/kprobes.c:95: error: 'kprobe_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/arm/kernel/kprobes.c:95: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
arch/arm/kernel/kprobes.c:95: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/kprobes.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/arm/kernel] Error 2

Is this known about and what is the fix for this?

2)      If I resolve this build error by:

i)                    Putting back the extern struct mutex kprobe_mutex in include/linux/kprobes.h

ii)                  Putting back the non-static declaration of kprobe_mutex in kernel/kprobes.c
Then build the kernel for arm-none-linux-gnueabi, it appears to build OK.
Then build and install ltt-control-0.63-03012009 for arm-none-linux-gnueabi and install on my arm development board.
Then build and install lttv-0.12.3-17122008 on my laptop.
When I run lttctl -C -w /tmp/trace1 trace1 on my arm dev board start a trace it appears to start. But when I run lttctl -D trace1 to stop the trace, the command seems to lock up and I have to ctrl C out of it. Looking at the trace1/ files, they are all 0 in size. I'm wondering if this lock up lttctl -D trace1 is related to how I resolved the kprobe problem?

Regards
Paul

This email and its attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Picochip. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.