[lttng-dev] Introducing lttng-graph

Julien Desfossez julien.desfossez at efficios.com
Sun Feb 26 13:24:00 EST 2012

Hello,

Today I'd like to introduce a small project I have been working on this
week because I think it can help quickly visualize a LTTng 2.0 trace.

It is by no mean a production-ready tool, but I think the concept might
be of interest and I would like to share it with you and gather
feedbacks, contributions and ideas.

Lttng-graph is a tool that reads a CTF trace and uses the libbabeltrace
and rrdtool to produce a graph of the trace.
By default it will only display the number of events by second, but it
can do much more with the options. As of now it can graph :
- the total number of events per second
- the number of specific events per second
- the number of events for a list of process
- the combination of the number of a list of events for a list of process.
You can also select the part you are interested in with --start and
--end options.
Once the trace parsed, a lttng.jpg is created which you can then display.

As an example there is also a small bash script that graphs the total
number of events per second for the whole trace. This functionnality is
also available in the C version, but the bash script might be of
interest for some, so I keep it there.
In order to use it, you need an up-to-date version of libbabeltrace and
the binary rrdtool in your path (please note that the recent renaming of
the libctf to libbabeltrace might force you to make some cleanups to use
it), and glib development headers (libglib2.0-dev on debian).

If you want to try it, here it is :
git://git.dorsal.polymtl.ca/~jdesfossez/lttng-graph

If you have any questions, suggestions, ideas, contributions, you know
where to find me :-)

Thanks,

Julien